Wednesday, July 8, 2009

July 6th- Here I Come Firenze/Florence

This morning we took at train from Rome to Florence. I definitely decided to get some shut eye during this two hour train ride. As soon as we arrived we walked straight to our hotel. I could already tell that Florence was a lot different than Rome it is much more quaint. About twenty minutes after arriving we got our welcoming rain storm. Good thing my backpack came fit with a rain cover so my much prized possession as in my laptop was safe. This didn’t last long, just in time for us to start a second walking tour with our guide Tonya. Let’s just say now that she knows more than I could have ever thought and I basically could only hear half because the loud city and the not so great volume on the machines. It was a great adventure going through town though being able to actually see all the buildings Florence has to offer was awesome. Everything from our hotel is so close to walk to, it has been easy to see a lot more of the city because we are close. Our last hotel we had to take taxis to get into town, so this saves money by walking and is much quicker.During the tour she took us to the Brancacci Chapel, this is where there are ceiling frescos of Adam and Eve and also Tribute Money. Any painting that I have learned more than just the name about I get very excited to see, I love being able to say why it’s important and not just any other painting. Tribute Money is a part of paintings of the cycle of St. Peter’s life. The Adam and Eve painting is where they having the explosion of them out of the Garden of Eden. On the opposite side of the wall it shows another painting of Adam and Eve that is done by a completely different artist. It amazing to see the talent and authenticity of each artist and what they can do.

After our four hour tour we were able to stop at a great little restaurant where I got lasagna. Tasted much different, but it was one of the better meals I had. During our whole dinner the creeper worker stared at us the entire time. Ha but on the way there Lindsey and I found a great smoothie stand that will hold me over for something to eat for lunch because there meat is much different here ha the white stuff in it is not cheese it’s fat! I didn’t know that until Linds told me.Thanks to the great hotel down the street we are able to receive some great WiFi. Due to the fact that it was overbooked so we had to stay at the sister hotel which is not all so great. Four girls in a very small bathroom does not work out so well. The best part is the drain is in the middle of the bathroom floor so water gets everywhere from the shower. It will be an interesting two more nights of this Hotel Nizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment