Tuesday, July 21, 2009

July 20th- A Fire Alarm worth remembering

The V&A Museum or the Victoria and Albert Museum is where today's journey began. We were split off into different groups to start working with patterns a little bit more. This assignment started because of the Juniors project last year working with Angela Adams. She would take things from nature and abstract them to make a pattern for rugs. I love her work, I love the concept that she uses I just wish I was able to do it as well. We went through the museum for inspirations through the artwork and sculptures. The first room I went into was really cool, the lighting was dark and it had huge graphics on the walls. It was a modern approach, really abstract furniture and art work. I thought it was awesome and I wish I could have taken pictures inside. The rest of the museum was full of different things like ironwork, jewerly, sculptures. Its cool to see how far they date back each object and how much it changes over time. In honor of their jewelry room I got a ring that is really big, but I like it.We walked across the London Bridge which was cool although the song instantly got stuck in my head. We passed the London City Hall, I have always wanted to see it and it's so much better in person.The next museum we visited was the Tate Modern, which was not what I expect from looking at it on the outside. It is a brick brown building and on the inside it is a modern museum I would have never thought. There were some parts that reminded me of the Pompidou especially the rooms marked that they contained adult portions. Ha we stayed just long enough to grasp ideas for our patterns.On our way back we got to walk across Milennium Bridge, which is the only walking bridge in London. The design of the bridge is supposed to balance the modern and traditional elements. It is the only just walking bridge in London. This pathway led us to our first grocery store experience. It was alright ha being able to determine the difference from pounds to dollars and still figure out whether or not something was a good deal was difficult. Carrying the bags out was a different story ha this is the disadvantage of not living in the suburbs. We went into the subway, back to the flat, and up seven flights of stairs.
All of us really wanted to go see Harry Potter, so what better time when in London. We decided that buying the tickets online would be easier, what we didn't know was that there are two Leichester Squares. Ha So we went to the theatre all excited with Harry Potter scars drawn on our foreheads with bags full of treats and we were disappointed to find out that our tickets were not there but in a place that was not even in London. After already paying six pounds we weren't sure if we wanted to buy another ticket without any refund. We had to go back to another theatre across the street that was the same company of where we purchased our first tickets. After feeling out of luck we were able to get a refund and somehow we made it just in time all sitting together. It also was the biggest theatre I have ever been too, I can't imagine how many people we in there. I will have to say that I definitely enjoyed this movie, not being the biggest fan this whole time it made me want to re watch the others.After a long day I went to go take a nice shower after quickly claiming a spot in the bathroom line. I had just turned on the water for about a minute and to my surprise in the background I hear the sound of an alarm chiming. I thought, could this be real? Oh yes it was. I was all wet and this flat is the kind that you bring your own towel. The floor was soaking wet, and I was stuck not knowing whether to just go in a towel or get my clothes really wet and have to deal with a mold smell later from them drying. I opened the door seeing why it was going off and everyone was in a frantic to get out. I basically just went in a dress with my towel over and drenched hair. I can honestly say I have never had everyone look so much and I'll I could do was laugh. This was the wonderful end to the night.

2 comments: