Saturday, July 11, 2009

July 11th – Where Topless is Alright

Last night we also had an adventure on our own. We wanted to see the ocean at night in Venice. Little did we know, that the night streets here are sketchy. We were constantly scared that people were following us, the best past was Brady was in our hotel robe walking the streets ha. On the way back there was a guy behind us following, we took off in a frenze and that was the end of taking nightly strolls. I also discovered an abnormal bug bite on my shin... I hope I didn't contract something weird.

Today we got to go to Murano Glass to see their product as well as how they make a few things. We got to take boats over to the island of Murano and it was a great adventure being in the open ocean on a boat. The showrooms were absolutely amazing! I can’t believe how much work they put into what they do. They have the most brilliant work, ha but it is quite expensive. I learned today that you can’t learn to become glass blower you have to be born into it to know the secrets of making these unique sculptures. The man who did our demonstration made a glass horse in under a minute, he is one of the top three in the world. It was one of the most talented things I have ever seen. He would just blow a little and use a few tools to shape this flaming piece of glass into a standing horse. There are nine different rooms filled with chandeliers, vases, and all sorts of sculptures. I can’t imagine how long it must take them to make each of them. The guy was telling us that it is usually one person as the main person with five assistants helping him to complete it. This was a great opportunity for us to come to, thanks to our USU connections they were able to make it happen. I also got a sweet ring from there, although way overpriced it is worth it to say that it was actually made by Murano glass.After the glass shop, we decided that we wanted to go to the beach in Lida. We had to wait about an hour before we could find the right boat to take us there. Every time you go on you are supposed to pay, but no one ever checks for tickets ha so yes we used this to our advantage snuck our way on. It is a great technique for a free ride for our free day. The beach that we went to was pretty, despite the many topless women and Speedo men. It is so weird what a different culture it is here and how it is normal for people to change in front of everyone with no shame. Ha I saw a lot of things I wish I hadn’t today, but I came out with a nice burn so I will at least have a tan for a little. Even though I do not like marine life at all, I was able to get to at least my knees in the water before thinking that a fish was close. It is a fun day, I am glad I was able to enjoy a beach in Venice!

1 comment:

  1. Kitty Kat... I didn't know you had a blog!
    It looks like you are having a great time traveling the world:) I am completely jealous...oh to be young again:(
    We miss seeing you at G's! Can't wait till you get back so we can here all about all of your exciting adventures!

    ReplyDelete