Thursday, July 16, 2009

July 15th- Church, Pompidou, Louvre- One long/exciting day

It is a day that is filled with many things. We started at St. Chapelle Cathedral, the chapel was on the second floor which was different. It was filled with stained glass everywhere with gold, it was so pretty. It has been a around forever, so it is great to see that such decorative windows made it through all this time. After seeing the church we made our way over to the Pompidou, which I have always wanted to see so I was very excited. I learned about it in Art History, it is cool that you can see all the elements of the building from the outside. People either hate it or they like because of how modern it is in the city like Paris. I think it's an awesome building and inside it is filled with very modern art. I have never seen so much interesting/weird stuff in my life, there were tv's everywhere filled with different videos made by people. As soon as I saw a naked lady hoola hooping with barbwire that was the end for me ha. I think it is awesome how abstract people can think though, there were lots of things that are one of kind in there. I got to see some Pollock and Rothko paintings which was awesome. I know they switch around the projects in there every once in a while so maybe next time I go it will be completely different. As for now, ha I would rather not see naked body doing weird things, I would be happy just to enjoy the architecture. The Pompidou was amazing, I am lucky I was able to finally see it in real life.After that, we all went to the Louvre which is so huge! It went on forever, the inside is so big I could be lost in there for days and no one would find me. The best part about it was that I was able to see the Mona Lisa and the Venus de Milo. It is so much better seeing it in person whereas just a picture on the internet. The Mona Lisa is so much smaller than I imagined. There were millions of people gathering around it so I just got a glimpse. I was happy with that and to say that I have actually been to the Louvre. The outside is amazing, the land goes on forever. There are fountains right by the triangular glass structure that you can put your feet in and after walking all day it sure did feel nice. I loved the glass part about the Louvre, same as the Pompidou you either love it or hate it and I actually liked it. It helped being in the atmosphere and seeing it all together, it's a great juxtaposition of the old with the new. In the gardens of the Louvre you can look straight down and see the Arc de Triumph, which was so cool. It was deceiving how close it really seemed, ha I felt like I walked three miles on my way to get there. It was worth the voyage down there, although my day was long and my feet were about to fall off I enjoyed everything I saw.For dinner we went to a small cafe that is by our hotel. I got a hamburger and to my surprise the French make them differently ha inside of a bun, it's a fried egg? Ha I would never have been them together, but I have no complaints. After a long day anything will taste good if you get to sit down.

2 comments: