Friday, July 24, 2009

July 23rd- Punting was worth not paying for a Gondola

Welcome to Cambridge. We began our day with the usual train ride to Cambridge. The town is so cute, who wouldn't want to go to college here? They also had some great shopping places, we were all ready for when it was free time so we could have a chance to go. We started out with a walking tour with Sally. Ha She was a cute old lady with a thick British accent it was great, she also had a ravishing dark blue eyeshadow on. I enjoyed my few hours with her, she took us to King's College and inside the chapel. It was a cool chapel, the first one here that I have seen fan vaulting in. Each horizontal separator piece weighs about 1 ton. It's crazy how much everything can weigh, I wish I could remember what she said the entire ceiling was. We asked her how much it costs to go to school at Cambridge and it was only 3,000 which is basically the same at home. The thing that costs most is the housing. Despite the exchange rate I was surprised that they weren't far in price from what we pay, you would think it would be a lot more. I loved being able to spend the day in this town, it's a great little college city with lots of character. I can't believe the school is over 800 years old. We went to a small pub for lunch where I surprisingly got some fish and chips, my Poppy would be very proud. I was a little sketch that the skin was still on part of it, but I ate it and to my surprise it didn't taste that fishy at all. I am glad I can say I had my first fish and chips. I probably would never choose to order it again but I did it. The place we went to was cool because on the ceiling there is written in candle wax the signature of some military from the war forever ago, it's covered in glass now and they are always going to preserve it. Then we made our way to the Fitz William museum where we got to see some more great paintings from the early and high Renaissance as well as Impressionists. After a long day of walking it was nice to go on a punting tour. Which is where we sit in a boat and the punter gives us a small tour on the river that goes past a couple colleges. Although it was raining right before and I had to sit in water it was well worth the relaxing ride down the river.This is one less fish I have to worry about when I jump into a lake haI have to be honest I didn't know what our tour guide really looked like until this picture was taken. I never turned around due to my laziness.Oh don't worry she's just rolling up a doobie right on the street by punting. As for her friends they are just pouring themselves drinks of straight up vodka.

No comments:

Post a Comment