Thursday, July 16, 2009

July 16th- 24 dollars Later

Today my journey began on a metro, train, and bus to the great Villa Savoye. It was better than I had imagined, I liked how it wasn't in the city and had it's own piece of land around it. It was much more peaceful and it didn't feel like we were in Paris anymore. I am a big fan of the modern architecture. According to Le Corbusier, this house is perfect in his eyes because it has all the 5 elements it needs. Stlits, horizontal windows, rooftop gardens, open floor plan, and free floating facade. The interior and exterior has a lot of white and black, what I didn't know was that the bottom part is green. I guess I have never really looked that close in pictures to realize that it wasn't just two colors. The staircase in the house is one of my favorite parts, it is spiral and has thick concrete sides. I also enjoyed the rooftop gardens with the huge glass doors leading into the sitting room. There was a few of his chairs there, I definitely loved sitting in the Chaise Lounge chair it was very comfortable. I would also like to purchase a Petit Comfort just so I could sit in it all day. It was really cool to be able to walk inside and see each room, pictures can't do much compared to seeing it. Although there wasn't much inside the architecture was awesome. We sat on the lawn and sketched it, my pictures or sketches will never it do justice.Next came a lunch from heaven at the Phillipe Stark restaurant called Kong. Although a burger and fries cost 17 euro equalling about 24 dollars. It was the most expensive hamburger I have ever eaten, but being able to sit in a Ghost chair was completely worth it. It was so cool having Ghost chairs everywhere because they are transparent and made the room look so much larger. I felt like I was eating in a blimp ha with the glass windows all around and being high up in the building. I will always remember this experience of eating a burger while in a Ghost chair. This influences me to one day hope to have them in my house.Musee de Orsay was the next stop. It was awesome inside, it is an old train station that was converted into a museum. I like being there because it was really open. I felt that it was easier to look at more than the Louvre. I saw lots of Impressionist painting which was cool. Lots of Degas of his painted ballet dancers, also Van Gogh and his greatness. Starry Night was not present, but there was a painting that looked quite similar. It is our Professor's favorite musuem, so I was glad to be able to enjoy it as well.

1 comment: