Monday, July 13, 2009

July 12th- A Train Ride That Was Nothing Like I Expected

Today we had free time up until we had to leave for our train ride to Paris. We started out the day by going to St. Mark’s. Little did we know that it would be closed inside for mass and the top floor cost extra. We waited in line for about an hour and it led us to the line that had “not to code stairs” and the money it cost wasn’t worth it to see it from the very top. We had to hike back down the stairs and we were only able to see the inside area of some mosaics. They were however incredible and it was worth going just to see the outside and how amazing the architecture is. Each mosaic piece is so tiny I don’t know how the pictures come out so clear on a curved surface. After that, we were able to walk around Venice for our last day in paradise. It was so beautiful there, I loved everything about it. We shopped for a little, but I think everyone was just ready to make it to the train to get going. We got one finally crepe, and made our way to Paris.

The train was a completely different experience. I had no idea they would fit six people in probably a five foot by seven foot room three beds stacked on each side. Also, that the air didn’t turn on until the train did, so for a half hour we were in stifling heat trying to make our bags fit in a little space that we all had to share. It was a night to remember and a first experience for all of us. It is nothing like the train in Harry Potter, although I think we all wished it was. The best part is that we had to ration all our food together because we were starving. We had a first course consisting of cheese and crackers, the second course consisting of granola bars, and the third course consisting of every candy we could find from our backpacks. This was all before we knew there was a train restaurant, who would have thought? Luckily we were all filled up on sugar and ready for a not so good night’s rest. I am glad I was able to experience what it feels like to sleep with a sheet that feels like paper and a wool blanket in an eighty degree room. Maybe my next time on a train will be a better adventure as for now we did have some good laughs that made the whole twelve hours worth it!

As you can tell by my face I was not having a good time and I look like a pouty four year old. Good thing we were all so close that if we wanted to hold hands, it was an option.

1 comment:

  1. I thought I recognized that little girl in the shoe department whaling like the world was coming to an end. Those were the days, or should I say those are the days. Love you, Mom By the way, it seems like you didn't believe a word I said about the train, the food, and the heat. Oh well, live and learn.......

    ReplyDelete