Wednesday, July 8, 2009

July 3rd- Long day, yet knowledgable and fun

I started out the day some breakfast at the hotel ha and lets just say things do not taste at all the same! The yogurt tasted like day old much more tart... and there were other food that I will have to be getting used to. After I ate, we headed out the the Borghese Museum. It is a beautiful white building, the inside consisted of these cool floor mosaics everywhere. I wasn't able to capture any photos of it because we couldn't take pictures. There is a statue that I loved there which is Apollo and Daphne where she is turning into a tree as he touches her.
Since the Coliseum rained the first day we went, we weren't able to go inside so today we got to see what it was all about. I never expected it to be so large it was so awesome though. On the bottom arena floor there is some sort of a maze. The different levels were cool to see and know that people once went there for their entertainment.
After the Coliseum we went on a guided walking tour with Antonella. She was a good tour guide very knowlegdable, my sis would be lovin her. Although, we had to walk around with these dinky little headsets, I was able to see many churches on our three hour walk. It's amazing how long these churches have been here and stay in the condition they are at. I saw a church that I learned about in Art History called San Quattro alle Fontane by Borromini, I loved it because it has two separate ornate facades so it looks like two places from each side. I also saw the Moses marble sculpture by Michelangelo, which was originally sculpted to have him facing forward but later her turned his head, it was intended to be placed at St. Peter's but is not in a small church called San Pietro.
The last place on the tour was the Trevi Fountain which is one of the most famous and beautiful fountain in Rome. The tale is that if you toss a coin with your right hand over your left shoulder you will return to Rome one day, if you toss two you will meet and Italian boy and if you toss three you will marry that Italian boy. At least that is what our tour guide said, I definitely just tossed one in hope of returning to Rome again. It is neat in Rome because they have these fountains everywhere that you can just feel up your water bottle with, there water is great I'm just waiting until I will have to buy water for every time I need a drink in other places.Later that night for dinner we went to a small pizza place that was really small but cute. I got some good pizza for a great price although there was a small leak in the ceiling that kept dripping on us it was well worth it. The most enjoyable part of the meal was the gelato afterwards, there are millions of stands everywhere offering it. I am glad that will be able to have a great treat even when I don't like my choices of food.

1 comment:

  1. I'm hoping you can survive on gelatos and not get rickettes or scurvy or what not.....hang in there, it looks like you are having fun. Love and miss you, mommee

    ReplyDelete