Friday, July 10, 2009

July 10th - This is what makes me excited to Design

This morning for breakfast the food was great. I got granola that I love and have been craving since making it in Logan. The breakfast area is so pretty each chair has white slip covers on them with black granite tables and some cute red flowers. I loved being able to enjoy my morning in there, they also had any kind of fruit you could have wanted with pastries as well. This actually lets me look forward to waking up and eating ha.After eating we were able to go to the fabric designer called Rubelli. It was awesome to see how they started out making it on a loom and now they have made it into a well known company. They are located in a palace that was on the water front of the main canal. It was really pretty inside we got to take a look at all their fabrics designs as well as their magazines. They showed us how their incorporate designs that have been around for centuries and still stay in the family of Rubelli. I loved their fabrics, I feel like the fabric on our hotel walls was made by them. They were selling samples of their great fabric and I’m sad now that I didn’t buy any because they are all so pretty.The second place we got to see was Fortuny. They also make fabrics, but theirs are much different than Rubelli. None of their fabrics are the same, they are each different just by a little bit unless requested that it must match. Their fabrics are very well known and are used by many celebrities. A girl in our group interned for Jamie Drake this summer and he actually was uses two of the fabrics for pillows in a bedroom. If only I could use them, but at 360 dollars a yard I will have to opt out. I loved their patterns though, it was interesting to me that they have about 200 different patterns and continually use those but they change the colors of the fabrics behind them making each one unique. The patterns come from Mariano Fortuny and they have the original sketches, so if they wanted to create a new one they search only in his works. After we looked where some fabric was displayed, we went out back by the factory where each roll was made and there were gardens with a pool. It was really neat to see where all these different fabric originate and make their way into the states.Today was an awesome day we were able to see more of Venice while walking to the different designers it is definitely a place I am enjoying. Although today one girl in our group went to take a picture by the edge of the water and it was so slippery she fell down the stairs and her camera flew in the water! It was worst case scenario, I felt really bad for her. The best thing was her great optimistic attitude about it, I feel like I should be like that. After losing all her pictures, she was a great sport. I will give a 10 on the fall, even though it should not be funny. Shout out to Josie ha. Linds and I were able to make a trip to Mcdonald’s and let’s just say they have up’d their game, the inside was the nicest one I have seen. It was so modern and I loved it. I would go there just there to sit and observe all the great things about it. Ha. Venice is just wonderful all around.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you're having a blast! I want to hear all about it when you get back! Say hi to Lindsey and Ashlee and Ali for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey tell Ali that I tried to leave comments on every post but none of them would let me! Sad! But the tour of her and Ashlee's "crib" was my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha K I will! ha I know it was funny they did that! It's been way fun wish you could have come!

    ReplyDelete