Monday, July 27, 2009

July 27th- Wilton, Salisbury, Stonehenge

The Wilton House. The home of now Earl the 18th of Pembroke, who is very smashing as they would say. It's weird knowing that he currently is living there and we are taking tours of the grounds. I loved how we were reminded of who was living here by the modern photos of him and his sisters. Two of which could be identified as boys if you only glanced at the photo. The inside paintings were tons of Van Dyck which was neat to see. The best part was not only the free treats at the end consisting of pasteries and lemonade, but the gardens were beautiful outside. The grass is sooo green here, I love it. There is a small bridge out back that was done by the same person who did the Rialto Bridge in Venice. I loved being able to tell the similarities between everything we have seen.Salisbury Cathedral is where we spent most of the afternoon. We were able to take a grand tour around the church and then go up into the rafters and see how it was built. We also got to look out at the city from the tower. We were also able to see the Magna Carta, which was cool especially for the perfect penmanship. When we were learning about the building of this church I couldn't believe how far they traveled to get the stone they needed. I will never understand how they build the things they do. I found it interesting that they built the first half and put a roof over it so they could hold their sermon while construction was still in process. It also surprised me that they used to separate even in the church by a huge screen according to social classes blocking the frontal east view for the peasants. It was a really cool that what they used for materials have lasted seven centuries and are still holding strong. I did at times feel like the floor beneath me was going to fall down eighty two feet, but it held up. We were up right next to the bell when it started going off, although very loud it was cool to see it happening. I loved that our tour guide being in church swore the entire time through the tour. He was a real treat. I also learned that this church hold the Guinness World record for the tallest spier in the UK.The best part about today was going to Stonehenge. Who would have though a bunch of rocks randomly placed would become so well known? Ha it was really cool being able to see it. It was in the countryside, which I like because then it's easier to focus on just that and not a city around it. This is how I picture most famous sites, I don't know why but I imagine them to be sitting alone on a hill for people just to admire. I didn't really know much about it before going. I never knew that it was used as a sun dial to tell the different months. There are also a lot of myths about how it got there, I sure hope the alien one isn't true. I wish I could have seen it when all the stones were there and set up. I always thought that you could go walk through it and see what it was all about, but you have to stay behind the ropes to look. I enjoyed coming here, it was a great day in Salisbury.

No comments:

Post a Comment