Wednesday, July 22, 2009

July 21st- One full day

We started out by going to the Sir John Sloan Museum. It is a row house of Sir John Sloan full of his collections and architectural features. When I walked up I wasn't expecting that we would be arriving at a museum because of the many houses that surrounded me. I thought the house looked small and I would be out in no time. Little did I know that it full of collections from Rome of column features and Hogarth paintings. The inside has so many quirks, yet great ideas for opening up a space. He added mirrors everywhere to make the room appear bigger and to add more archways. There were so many different places to go throughout the house I kept feeling like I had seen it all but then they was another hallway. In one room that contained paintings on the wall also had another set of doors behind those that housed more paintings. It was so cool seeing how much he had collected over the years. There was a sarcophagus in the basement of an Egyptian god. I thought it was cool that he wanted to make his house a museum as he had left it and he wanted people to see the things that he appreciated and enjoyed in his lifetime. I was glad to be able to go, although it was smaller I thought it had cool artifacts as well as his design in the architecture.On to museum number two for the day, the British Museum in search of some more inspiring patterns. We were really excited because we had heard you could see the Rosetta stone, but to our disappointment it was only a cast of it. We walked throughout the Egyptians times and we were able to see a lot of the artifacts they had. I have never realized how many patterns are out there until I had to start looking for them. The museum have been great, especially because they are all free here ha. On the way back we stopped at St. Paul's cathedral which was really awesome inside. I liked it even though all the churches we have seen are starting to blend together this one stood out to me. I wish I was able to catch photos of it, but I wasn't allowed I got yelled at for trying. The best part about this church is that it supposedly has a whispering dome or so they say. It didn't quite work out as well as we though. About 250 steps later we failed at trying to hear each other by a whisper from across the room. I'm glad I can say I at least tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment