Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Happy American Day!

Happy 4th of July!! Sadly, I had to miss this great day which is also my half birthday. I was happy to see that on this day we did see an American flag over a doorway which brought some joy to my American pride. I will say that later that night we did watch fireworks over youtube on our T.V.
Early this morning, we went to the Vatican, which is a city that is within Rome and has a huge wall around the entire thing. It is also where the Pope lives in St. Peter's. Inside the Vatican, it was beautiful the ceilings were amazing filled with gold frames of little pictures everywhere. The first part you walk into is about a mile long and it is just filled with artwork, I wish I could have enjoyed this much more but I was not feeling good at all. I wasn't able to get half the pictures I wanted. Thankfully I started to feel better throughout the day. The Sistine Chapel is so amazing, I was happy to see many of the paintings I learned about in Art History. It was darker in there than I would have thought, but it has so many cool paintings that consist of the creation and life of Christ. After being inside we went out to St. Peter's Square which is huge! It was filled with people and still had tons of space to spare. I loved it especially all the statues around the curved arches. The best experience at the Vatican was hiking up to the top of dome so we could overlook the entire city of Rome. Although it was about 300 or more stairs with walls curving in I will never regret going. It was one thing when you come here you should do because you can see every part of Rome and the beautiful greenery that is everywhere. The inside of St. Peter's is so big! There was so much to look at, I also touched St. Peter's foot and made of wish that should come true or so they say.On the way to the Pantheon, we stopped and saw the Castel Sant' Angelo which for those who are Angels and Demons fans this was in the movie. It was right before huge bridge that was neat to see how they put statues throughout it. The Pantheon was different than I thought, I never knew it was in the middle of the city surrounded by buildings. I thought it was cool to see the oculus in the center with the light shining through.Since the day was more than scorching we decided there wouldn't be a greater time to spend outside at our pool. The best part about it was that we had to wear blue swim caps. Probably the least flattering things ever, it was funny to wear. I didn't understand the purpose fully because the moment I jumped in it slipped right off my head causing my hair to be in the pool which is what they didn't want.This day ended with a long search to find a Mcdonald's in hope for some normal food. When we found it after about an hour of walking it was not worth going ha. A happy meal was about six bucks and not the same! I'm glad that for dessert they consider a packaged piece of old pineapple good. Fanta orange drink is definitely not the same here too I will never be drinking it again. The great part about it was of course my hamburger which you would think could never taste different, but yes it did. It's fine. ha. On our way home in search of a taxi we ran into a group of older people that were drunk because there bus broke down so they were just hanging out talking to people who came past for something to do. They were very funny and ended my day quite nicely with constant laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment