Saturday, August 1, 2009

July 31st- Best for Last

Today we started at Haddon Hall located in Derbyshire, England. It is a medieval manor house that dates back to the 12th century. In the kitchen, the work surfaces were made out of oak. There was a giant stump used for a chopping block. The dining area had a long table that on the top it looked in decent conditon, but if you were to look underneath you could see all the dents from knives, etc. They have two sides to the table and when they are done eating they flip over the worn down side to make it look decent. Our tour guide also explained that they used to eat peacock and to do this they would mince up all the meat and keep the skin of the bird to put over it and then use the feathers to make them fan out for the presentation aspect. I love peacocks, this story was not okay with me. The gardens outside were small, but they were pretty. You could over look a large part of the countryside where everything is so green and lush. The next greatest thing to this place is a nice enjoyed meal of scones and clotted cream. This is a scone that really tastes like a biscuit and like whipped butter/cream with jam on the side. I'm definitely a fan of this and will miss it when I go home.After Haddon Hall just neighboring it was our next destination, Chatsworth. I have always been so excited to see this, I had to research this place as my topic for an assignment. This is also the place where they filmed a lot of Pride and Prejudice. The gardens are 105 acres which is extremely large. They were different from the others I have seen, I feel like they were a lot more interactive. They had a maze to go through and since I haven't gone in one we decided to give it a try. It would have been a lot better experience if it wasn't muddy everywhere and if we could have found the middle where a sculpture was. We found a place that was filled with different shapes rocks and we layed there for a bit enjoying the great scenery around us. There were these cute little boys playing on them and they kept chanting "I'm the king of the castle, your a dirty rascal" ha it's funny how different there sayings are from ours. It was really cute said in a little boy british accent. After the gardens we went inside to see the house, I will definitely say this was my favorite house so far. I feel like it was different from the others, they used tons of wood on the interiors. All the wood had really ornate carvings in them which is awesome to see the skill people had with few tools. I am really happy they saved this house for last because it was my favorite so far. If I ever came back to England I would love to visit this again.This awkward statue is Everywhere... Never should be repeated haThere were many of these adorable little boysAli was too afraid to make this leap on her own. Ha I helped her through it

No comments:

Post a Comment